Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorff0233
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014

I have a kitchen full of select alder doors that change with the season. They were finished with a oil base stain and a water base catalyzed finish. The wood grain raises during the winter and goes completely flat in the summer. It is only about 10 - 20% of most of the door surfaces that does this. The raise also appears to be focused at the outer edges of the larger flat areas produced in the outer plain cuts of the timber. While not as pronounced, reminds me of the way a deck weathers.
    The finish materials rep suggested it was checking, though he has not seen it and in my research on checking, checking appears to cover the entire surface and actually cracks the finish.
    I did refinish the raised area on one of the doors and had to sand through the finish and sand the wood in order to make the surface flat. This problem has recurred on this door after a year as well as re-appear on all doors.
    Anyone have this happen to them. that could help me get to the root of this problem?
    I feel it has something to do with the wood versus the finish, but really don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoedw00
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014

Good evening Sorry to say but this forum is not monitored anymore. I stop by ever so often to see if anything is new. Nick built a great site but does not have the time to keep this up.
    • CommentAuthorff0233
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014

Any ideas as to where I can solicit info on this ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoedw00
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014

Go to http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/ They are a great bunch of guys with a lot of knowledge.
    • CommentAuthordusty
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2014

I too stop in every now and then hoping to find some activity here.

Maybe the fact that there is none is the fault of those of us who do stop in now and then. Maybe if we commented every time we stop by, we would get some activity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStick
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

good chance you have flat sawn wood...

need to reseal it...